Friday 19 September 2008

Peter Dray:: On not worshipping the Bible (Hebrews 1:1-2:4)

On not worshipping the Bible (Hebrews 1:1-2:4)

As I read this passage today, it struck me that some evangelical Christians are in danger of worshipping the Bible (the 'angels'), rather than to lead them to worship of the Son himself. The Bible is not God. The Bible is not worthy of a place at God's right hand. The Bible cannot, by itself, in its mere words bring salvation. The Bible cannot, by itself, in its mere words keep a believer persevering.

I cherish and love the Bible, but I must not let it draw my affections away from the Son it reveals and glorifies. Through the Spirit, the Bible reveals and points us to the Son. To worship the Bible (whether through using it for knowledge rather than worship, or anything else) is a dangerous idolatry. It is to worship an angel, rather than the one who commands the angels to work out his will and draw people to worship.


This is something I have thought before, but never really articulated. It was exactly what I wanted to articulate though, so I thought it worth quoting!

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Great post scotty!