Saturday 5 April 2008

Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ


I haven't posted for a while, so sorry about that - I've been away from my computer for the easter break. In that time, I had chance to read a couple of books, so I'm hopefully going to post a few thoughts on each of them.

I recently finished reading 'Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ', by John Piper. It was, in lots of ways, a very good book!

I find that it becomes all to easy for me, to make my Christian walk about lots of things that it isn't. I make an idol out of going to church, out of reading the right books, knowing the right people, or looking godly. I make an idol out of all the wrong things.

But the heart of Christianity isn't about any of these things - it's about knowing and loving God. Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ is an excellent book to read to remind us of this.

Jesus is someone who baffled scribes with his wisdom, yet was understood by little children. He calmed the storm with a word yet didn't get himself down from the cross. He is someone that we should be growing to know better and love more. This book is great as it takes various aspects of Jesus' character and unpacks them, leading the reader to praise Jesus and love him more. Ultimately we know Jesus through the Bible, which is why it's great that this book is so saturated with scripture, and points us towards the word to find out more.

So, if you want to be reminded about what the centre of Christianity is about, if you want to appreciate who Jesus is better and so love him more, this book might be a good one to read!

No comments: