Saturday 6 June 2009

Grace Hymns

I'm just going through our church hymn book to pick out some of the hymns we sing often to include in the new church supplement and came across this hymn by Frances R Havergal. It's quaint in style but expresses a desire that I too infrequently feel. Too often I come to God's word to increase my knowledge. Too often I listen to sermons with an analysing hat on to check for how 'sound' I deem it to be from my very shallow, fallible framework. This old hymn puts you as the servant at the feet of the master with a deep desire just to hear his voice so that you can do what he says. Wonderfully it also recognises that only the master can enable you to obey.

I'd love to have more of this - a passion to hear God's voice more, even though I'm unworthy, because my deepest desire is to obey it.

Master, speak! Thy servant heareth,
Waiting for Thy gracious word,
Longing for Thy voice that cheereth;
Master! let it now be heard.
I am listening, Lord, for Thee:
What hast Thou to say to me?

Master, speak! Though least and lowest,
Let me not unheard depart;
Master, speak! For O, Thou knowest
All the yearning of my heart,
Knowest all its truest need:
Speak! and make me blest indeed.

Master, speak! and make me ready,
When Thy voice is truly heard,
With obedience glad and steady
Still to follow every word.
I am listening, Lord, for Thee:
Master, speak! O, speak to me!

No comments: